Investigation into death at Primrose mine
Local authorities will be conducting an investigation at a mine in Germiston, Gauteng, following the death of one miner on Thursday afternoon.
According to reports, two men were trapped in the mine on Stanley road in Primrose, Germiston, around 15:00 on Thursday afternoon. The owner and one employee are believed to have descended more than 75 meters into the mine to check on water levels when they became trapped.
Fire and rescue workers had great difficulty in bringing both men to safety. One was declared dead after he was brought to the surface around 18:00.
It is believed he died after he ran out of oxygen while trapped below the surface.
More News South Africa
- Taxi carrying 16 schoolgirls overturns in Durban
- Taxi driver caught off-guard, as passenger goes into labour
- Mantashe: Everybody who wants attention takes a dig at ANC
- Death of 31 illegal miners a painful reminder of the dangers involved
- Numsa: GM mustn't dump their products here when they're gone
- Kremlin: US-led airstrikes in Syria are a gross violation
- Police ask public to help find missing girls
- Bathabile Dlamini: 'Karabo's alleged killer could not kill her confidence'
- Family church cannot bury murdered Courtney Pieters
- Karabo Mokoena laid to rest